London benefits from being one of the most populous cities in the world. It makes it easy to find almost any service you could need. Therefore, if you’re looking for a consultant neurologist in London there will be many choices. This makes it even more important to spend time selecting the right professional for your requirements.
Neurology and Neurological Symptoms
Neurology is a specific field of medicine that looks at nervous system disorders and conditions. The nervous system is made up of the central nervous system and the peripheral nervous system. A consultant neurologist can help diagnose and treat symptoms of both.
Neurologists specialise in treating conditions in these parts of the body. Disorders which affect the brain, spinal cord and nerves include:
- Specific spinal cord disorders
- Some speech and language disorders
- Parkinson’s Disease and related movement disorders
- Cerebrovascular diseases including strokes
- Headache conditions such as migraine
- Infections of the brain and nervous system
- Alzheimer’s Disease and similar neurodegenerative conditions
- Epilepsy and other seizure disorders
- Multiple sclerosis and other demyelinating diseases
Visiting a Consultant Neurologist in London
Most people only visit a neurologist after referral from their GP. You may also need a referral to a consultant neurologist if you are experiencing:
- Headaches: patients who suffer from painful headaches including migraine may need to see a neurologist for further tests.
- Chronic neck and back pain: if this is alongside other neurological symptoms it is important to explore in more depth.
- Dizziness: when dizziness is experienced as vertigo or disequilibrium, you may need to see a neurologist
- Numbness: numbness or tingling can be caused by many medical problems. However, if it comes on quickly or affects one side of the body then it is worth seeking a neurology referral
Your GP or general healthcare team may also refer you to neurology for other reasons. Understandably, it can be daunting but an experienced consultant neurologist like Dr Paviour will be able to help and find the right treatment plan.
About Dr Paviour
Dr Paviour is a Consultant Neurologist with a busy NHS and private practice. He graduated in 1998 after training in London, winning the Medical School Gold Medal. Following junior medical jobs in London and at the Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals and passing his MRCP examinations, he returned to London and completed a PhD at the Institute of Neurology. He also completed specialist Neurology training in London.
APPOINTMENTS WITH DR PAVIOUR
You can make an appointment with Dr Paviour, a leading consultant neurologist in London with ease. Simply check out the contact details here.