Some patients are told they need a referral to a consultant neurologist and many not be 100% sure what this means. It can cause worry but, in all cases, referral to a consultant neurologist is for the benefit of the patient and may help in the fast and efficient treatment of any condition of symptoms.
Neurology is the branch of medicine which studies disorders of the nervous system. The nervous system contains many different elements. It is highly complex and includes:
- The Central Nervous System – your brain and spinal cord
- The Peripheral Nervous System – all other neural elements and organs. These include eyes, ear, skin and other sensory receptors of the body
A doctor who specialises in the field of neurology is a neurologist. A consultant neurologist is a senior neurologist in the position to assess, diagnose and treat a wide range of neurological conditions. A consultant neurologist will be able to treat a range of conditions including:
- Demyelinating diseases such as multiple sclerosis
- Cerebrovascular diseases including stroke
- Migraine and similar headache disorders
- Infections of the brain and nervous system
- Neurodegenerative disorders including Parkinson’s Disease and Alzheimer’s Disease
- Speech and language conditions caused by nervous system problems
- Spinal cord disorders
- Seizure disorders including epilepsy
Attending A Consultant Neurologist Appointment
When you attend an appointment with a consultant neurologist they will ask about your medical history. They will focus on your symptoms relating to the nervous system although other symptoms may be relevant. It is important to leave nothing out, so the doctor has a full picture of your situation. Patients should also expect a full neurological examination for proper assessment. From this point the doctor can decide whether further testing or scans are necessary. In most cases scans and tests can be arranged quickly so the treatment process can begin.
One thing to remember about consultant neurologists is that they do not provide surgical treatment. However, experienced neurologists like Dr Paviour have a great network of connections with reliable and talented neurosurgeons. This means, should surgery be necessary, you can quickly be referred to an experienced colleague more than capable of carrying out any required surgery.
Making an Appointment with your Consultant Neurologist
Many people will have a referral to a specific neurologist or hospital. However, you can arrange your own consultant neurologist appointments with Dr Paviour. Dr Paviours runs clinics in Central and South West London.
If you would like to make an appointment with Dr Dominic Paviour please telephone 020 7042 1850 or fill out the contact form found here.